11.12.2010

KML + Coffee 4 Ever!

I know this is my second post in a row about coffee, but given that the posts are nearly two weeks apart, I'll allow it, and I hope you will too.

I've been thinking long and hard about my relationship with Coffee.  (But not too hard because there are more important things going on in the world...  like ice cream...  and chocolate...)  More specifically, I've been reminiscing about my history with Coffee.  We go way back.

I guess we started "talking" when I was in high school.  Every week my youth pastor and I would go to Starbucks and enjoy some Bible talk and informal discipleship.  I would also enjoy a mocha frappuccino - chocolate, ice, milk and just a hint of espresso blended into bliss.

Then I started college, and Coffee and I took our relationship to the next level.  I would study several times per week at Coffee's shop just to be near Coffee.  Coffee's comforting aroma and warm touch thrilled me in ways beverages never had before.  Soon I found myself spending more and more time with Coffee.  In addition to the afternoon study dates, we decided to start each day together.  We carpooled to class each morning, enjoying every minute of the commute.  As we developed this deeper relationship, Coffee won my heart for good.

Coffee has seen me through a lot over the years.  We've celebrated the good times together - meaningful chats with our other friends, life-changing study of God's word, and each beautiful morning the Lord gives us the privilege of which to partake.  Coffee has also been there for me through the hard times - late night study sessions, sleep-deprived motherhood, and writer's block.

I would be less than honest if I let you believe Coffee and I have had the perfect marriage.  We've had a few bumps along the way.  I can remember the time I mistook Coffee's twin, Decaf, for Coffee.  I thought Coffee would never forgive me for that one, but we got through it.  But Coffee isn't totally innocent.  One time at church Coffee thought it would be funny to write Coffee's name on a coffee urn even though he knew full well that the contents of church coffee urns never come close to resembling actual Coffee.  I fell for Coffee's little practical joke and experienced the worst impostor coffee EVER.  But I'm not bitter.  Coffee and I went to counseling over that one, and Coffee has learned to consider my feelings before Coffee pulls pranks.

All in all, Coffee and I couldn't be happier together.  Some people will try to tell you that you don't need Coffee to make you happy or to make your life worthwhile, but I disagree.  Those people have either never had Coffee or are in relationships with church coffee and want to bring everyone else down with them.  Don't listen to them.  Go out today and enjoy some time with Coffee.

4 comments:

Mrs. McGoo said...

Yeah, I've been known to rendezvous with coffee a time or two.

What an innovative post/telling. I like it!

Mr. McGoo said...

Sounds like this coffee is getting around.

Well, I'm one of those people. I hate coffee. Never had a relationship with it, never wanted to. Coffee is just not that attractive. I'd prefer coffee's cousin....

Hot Chocolate

Elian said...

I'm thinking an intervention is in order.

Alisha said...

this language is way to similar to the "HAD, Haven't, should have, would have, could have" story from bible study --