9.21.2009

Oh. My.

I had a rough weekend, pain-wise, so I called my doctor this morning and asked if he would take my stent out early. And he said yes! So I made my way to his office, excited to get this foreign object out of my body, but nervous about how much the removal process would hurt.

I am not even kidding you when I say the apparatus he used to retrieve the stent was 2.5 feet long. It was a long piece of flexible metal with a light and a camera and some sort of clamp on the end. He inserted this thing, and after a minute or two, took out a TEN INCH plastic tube that looked like this:



THAT was in my abdomen! No wonder I was so uncomfortable. In case you are wondering, this is what it looked like while inside my body:



I'm still in pain, but it is more of a bruised feeling than a I-have-a-TEN-INCH-LONG-foreign-object-in-me feeling. I am glad healing can begin now. I go back in a month for a check up and the results of an extended urine test and the analysis of my kidney stones. Supposedly they will be able to tell what is causing the stones.

Until then, I'll be drinking water. A lot. And you should too.

11 comments:

Deanna said...

oh kelly! i'm so sorry you had to go through that. i can't even imagine that object in there! holy moly! i'm glad it's out, and i hope to be seeing you and lexi outside very, very soon! :)

Jonathan said...

And lemonade!

Kelli Wallace said...

poor thing! hope you heal quickly!

Kelly said...

No citric acid til the bladder heals, OUCH! But later, yes, lemonade :)

Jessica said...

I am so sorry Kelly! I am so glad that you no long have the stent!!!!! I am praying for you! Let me know if you need anything. Love you!

Sara McVay said...

Eeeks!! Hope you are on your way to recovery!! We'll be praying for you.

Alisha said...

Hope you feel better ... SOON! let me know if you need anything.

Angie Amstutz said...

Oh Kel! I had the SAME thing a year and a half ago. Im still traumatized!

Angi Pasqualis said...

So, kidney stones or labor...? I've always wanted to know!

Kelly said...

Definitely labor! Although, to be fair, I didn't actually PASS my stones... But they did resemble the first stages of labor and back labor.

Sarah Egner said...

That just seems about one of the worse things to have to go through. I cannot imagine! Glad its out and I hope you never have to experience that again!