5.27.2010

Out of Control

Lately, I've been trying to control some things in my life that I was never meant to be in charge of. Things like relationships. I've been operating under some false assumptions, namely that I can meet my needs and fulfill my desires better than an all-knowing, all-powerful, loving God. And I've been wearing myself out.

Have you ever seen a dog walking its owner? Usually, this happens when a 100 pound woman decides to own a 200 pound dog, like a Great Dane, which appears to be part horse. She tries to control it with a string of a leash, but, really, that dog is dragging her all over the neighborhood. She ends up more worn out than the animal.

That's how I've been feeling these days as I've tried so hard to control things that are out of my control. All my energy has been poured into attempting to make things go how I want them to go, and, despite my best efforts, things have still been going terribly. Turns out you can't control other people.

But there's more.

The Bible says that God will, "fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

For those that know Jesus on a personal level, we don't have to worry about manipulating people to meet our needs and fulfill our desires (which we can't successfully do anyway). We don't have to let our passion to control our lives drag us around like a hyperactive dog-horse. On the contrary, we can choose to trust God with the things we cannot control, and, in so doing, be filled with all joy and peace.

I'd love to live that way. Wouldn't you?
Share

8 comments:

Suzanne S. said...

Amen sister!!

Elian said...

I can't believe it took you 5 and 1/2 years of marriage to realize you can't control me. I'm the 200 lb dog. Wild, free spirited, and unable to be tamed. "Can't nobody hold me down. Oh no. I've got to keep on movin'."

Nancy Earles said...

wise words, I also am tired and from trying to control. I need to stay off the Throne and let our Lord handle everything. You would think at 62 I would know that by now. Thanks for reminding me. Love ya Kelly

Mrs. McGoo said...

preach it! GREAT post, my friend. GREAT!

jp moses said...

Great stuff, Kelly. The inside of your mind is a lovely place. Thanks for inviting us inside for a bit.

Regarding Elian (I know he's only one 200 lb dog, but still) I hear you can control him with a nicely grilled cheese sandwich on Texas Toast. Just a tip.

Randall Johnson said...

Now comes the hard part...living this post. God, why is it that we can't just come to a realization of the truth and suddenly, miraculously our minds and bodies start doing the truth?

Sum said...

thanks, kelly. I am absolutely worn out lately, and I know it's a whole lot of trying to do the work God's given me without resting in Him while I do it. I think I'm going to save your post so I can re-read it again and again. thanks a whole lot for that.

Kelly said...

Glad the post was encouraging, Rachel! I am sure it is particularly easy to feel drained as a missionary. I pray for you to fully realize God's love for you, and for that realization to birth an unwavering trust in Him.