10.30.2008

18 Months and Counting...

My daughter was born 18 months ago today. I can't believe she's been "out and about" for that long, but, at the same time, it is hard to remember life B.L. (Before Lexi).

Today Elian and I took Lexi for her check up. She's been sick all week with her first runny nose, cough, and chest congestion. Yesterday and today she's added diarrhea to the mix, just to keep things interesting. She hasn't had a fever, so we were able to go ahead and take her to get her vaccines.

Our last visit to the doctor was 3 months ago, and Lexi was petrified from the moment we got called back to the moment we returned safely to the parking lot. I was hoping the time that's passed would've erased Lexi's fears of the doctor, but that was not the case. In fact, I think her fears have somehow increased.

When the nurse called her name, Lexi clung to my neck for dear life and never willingly let go the whole time we were there (approx. 45 mins.) The first thing they do at every check up is ask me to take Lexi's clothes off so they can weigh her. As I began to do this, Lexi burst into hysterics. She carried on like this when the nurse measured her height and her head circumference, while the doctor sat in the furthest corner of the room and just talked to us, while he tried to listen to her heart and lungs, while he looked in her ears and throat, while he attempted but failed to check her eyes, and while he checked her hips. I had to peel Lexi off of me to make her face the doctor, but she managed to keep a handful of my neck skin clenched in her fist. Ouch. And of course the 3 shots she received didn't make her feel any better about the situation.

WARNING: This paragraph is only interesting to mothers of toddlers. Lexi has grown 2 inches in the past 3 months (for a grand total of 32.5 inches) and is in the 60th percentile for height. Her weight was 22 lbs, 13 ounces when she was 15 months old. Today it was 24 lbs, 4 ounces, which is 50th percentile. The nurse asked if Lexi is saying 4-10 words. She says at least 30, so I am guessing she is pretty verbal for her age.

The next check up isn't until Lexi is two. Maybe she will forget the horrors of the people who wear scrubs by then.

2 comments:

Mrs. McGoo said...

post lexi's 18 month photo here too. :) glad all is well.

Hope your neck is ok.

Anonymous said...

No doubt, she freaking lost it. She won't be getting over that place any time soon. I remember my fears as a youngster. I hated that guy til I was 20. I hadn't even seen him in 10 years!